If you’re seeking an adventure that brings you face-to-face with Australia’s most captivating wildlife, a visit to Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures is an absolute must. Nestled amidst the lush landscapes of Tropical North Queensland, this wildlife sanctuary offers an up-close encounter with crocodiles, as well as a diverse array of native fauna. In this guide, we’ll detail how to embark on a memorable journey from both Cairns and Port Douglas to Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures.
Getting to Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures from Cairns
Cairns, a bustling tropical city, serves as a convenient starting point for your journey to Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures. The park is located approximately 40 kilometers (25 miles) to the south, making for a picturesque drive that takes around 45 minutes.
- By Private Transfers: Private Transfers is a popular option as it provides the flexibility to explore at your own pace. The highway offers stunning ocean views and the chance to spot some of the region’s natural beauty.
- By Organised Tour: If you prefer to leave the driving to someone else, several tour operators offer guided trips to Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures. These tours often include informative commentary, convenient pick-up and drop-off, and sometimes additional stops at other local attractions.
From Port Douglas to Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures
Port Douglas, an idyllic coastal town known for its pristine beaches and access to the Great Barrier Reef, is another gateway to the wonders of Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures.
Exploring Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures
Upon arriving at Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures, prepare to be immersed in an environment that celebrates Australia’s unique wildlife. The park features diverse experiences, such as:
- Crocodile Feeding Shows: Witness the incredible power and grace of these prehistoric creatures during the park’s renowned crocodile feeding sessions. Expert handlers provide insightful commentary as they interact with these majestic animals.
- Wildlife Presentations: Beyond crocodiles, the park boasts an array of native animals, including kangaroos, koalas, cassowaries, and more. Engage with wildlife keepers during informative presentations to learn about these fascinating creatures.
- Boat Cruises: Partake in a relaxing and educational boat cruise on the wetlands. Here, you’ll encounter crocodiles in their natural habitat and learn about the fragile ecosystem that supports them.
- Adventure Activities: For the adventurous at heart, Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures offers activities like the “Crocodile Attack Show” and the “Big Croc Experience,” where you can observe massive crocodiles up close and personal.
Things to Do in Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures
Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures is a wildlife sanctuary and ecotourism park located between Cairns and Port Douglas in Far North Queensland, Australia. It is home to over 1,000 crocodiles, as well as a variety of other native animals, including snakes, cassowaries, koalas, and kangaroos.
There are a variety of things to do at Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures, including:
- Watch the crocodile shows: Hartley’s is famous for its crocodile shows, which are educational and entertaining. In the shows, you will learn about the biology and behavior of crocodiles, and you will see them up close.
- Take a boat cruise: Take a boat cruise on Hartley’s Lagoon and see crocodiles and other wildlife in their natural habitat.
- Go on a guided tour: Take a guided tour of the park and learn about the animals and the history of the park.
- Feed the animals: You can feed some of the animals at the park, such as the cassowaries and the kangaroos.
- Explore the rainforest: Hartley’s adjoins the world heritage listed Wet Tropics of Queensland rainforest. You can take a guided walk through the rainforest and see a variety of native plants and animals.
Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures is a great place to learn about crocodiles and other Australian wildlife. It is also a fun and exciting place to spend a day.
Here are some tips for your visit to Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures:
- Wear comfortable shoes, as you will be doing a lot of walking.
- Bring a hat and sunscreen, as it can get hot in the rainforest.
- Be prepared to get wet, as you may get splashed by the crocodiles.
- Don’t feed the animals, as this can make them aggressive.
- Follow the instructions of the park staff.
Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures is open daily from 9am to 5pm.